Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Greetings from the Mayo Clinic - #2

Here's the second postcard from Estace, a patient at the famous Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota in 1945.  He seems to have had a sense of humor and a perhaps a flair for drama.

The message reads:
Dear Norma -
I'm writing this on the bed pan. Was operated on last Fri and nearly didn't come out of it. Wanted to write you before but was to sick. Hope I'll be a new person now. I was x rayed from head to foot. I'm at St. Mary's Hospital. They treat me fine but I'll be glad to leave. I should of sent you a (?) in the letter I sent you a few days ago but intended to be back in Detroit and not here. So sorry about all your troubles. You sure have your share lately. Hope I can write more interesting letter soon.
ByBy Love Estace

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Christine. Anyone know the origins of the personal name "Estace"? Jack/Youngstown

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing I could think of was that it was a take-off of Eustace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure Estace was the brother of Festus of 'Gunsmoke' fame... Are you sure that isn't a car dealership instead of the clinic?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am amazed at how many people sent postcards from hospitals back in the day - I know it was cheaper and more convenient that other forms of communication, but somehow writing postcards is not something I think I'd feel like doing if I'd had surgery and been xrayed head to foot!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails